inconceivably terse

This blog is unabashedly tech/geek in nature.
My family blog is at markhu.blogspot.com

Saturday, February 12, 2005

SCALE doesn't measure up

Went to see the exhibits at the SoCalLinuxExpo (SCALE) on Saturday and was particularly underwhelmed.

First impressions are important, and I had a hard time finding the hall due to bad signage. Secondly, I expected more people & booths--the place had a strangely under-filled feeling. Perhaps Saturday afternoon was not a peak time.

Before I get bogged down in the negativity, let me say that my favorite part was getting some of the latest Linux/BSD distros on CD-ROM. Some were free and others asked for $1 donation to cover media cost.

Another cool one was the $100 PC from some educational group: http://www.solarlite.org/ although it won't be ready for release until later in 2005.

But the majority of the other vendor booths were most inexplicably-bland. Now I realize I shouldn't be expecting ComDex-style song-n-dance, but there were two basic categories (aside from the distro-CD-R-labelled-with-magic-marker-for-a-buck):

1. the hardware vendors with expensive-looking RAID arrays, or 1U rackmount servers

2. the open-source projects

And it was the OSS variety that mostly mystified as to the purpose of their presence. The good booths had decent signage/flyers, and staffed with multiple people, at least one of whom acted friendly and interested.

The inexplicable ones had either 0 or 1 person (often nearly comatose) and no/ultra-terse signs. Typical scenario:

me: "hi, I see your booth is about [reads sign]."

exhibitor: "yup, [repeats sign content]"

me: "I've heard about that before and it sounds neat."

exhibitor: "yup, it is."

[... crickets chirp, tumbleweeds blow ...]

me: "ok, thanks."

Then I wander away wondering what they could possibly hope to achieve?

http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home